The society was formed in 1921 from the General Union of Carpenters and Joiners and the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters, Cabinetmakers and Joiners. On 1 July 1970 it merged with the Amalgamated Society of Painters and Decorators and the Association of Building Technicians to form the Amalgamated Society of Woodworkers and Painters. On 1 July 1971 the Society joined the Amalgamated Union of Building Trade Workers to form the the Amalgamated Society of Woodworkers Painters and Builders. In December 1971 the Society's name was changed to the Union of Construction, Allied Trades and Technicians. Reference: T.J. Connelly, 'The woodworkers, 1860-1960' (Amalgamated Society of Woodworkers, 1960).
[For records relating to Birmingham 6th branch, see: MSS.126/VB/6/ASW/1-8].